Although Mental Health Awareness Week isn’t until 14th – 20th May 2018, we felt that this topic needs discussing now (and always!) Mental Health doesn’t just affect a minority of the population, it’s an affliction that sweeps through entire generations, age groups, industries – basically touching everyone.
According to the Mental Health foundation, research has shown that two thirds of us experience a mental health problem in our lifetimes, and stress is a key factor in this.
Stress has such a detrimental impact on us physically, mentally and emotionally and is a huge contributor to Mental Health issues.
Researchers at the Yale Stress Center found that when stress becomes a way of life – rushing from pillar to post (reading emails as you fly past) – the prefrontal cortex part of our brain begins to shut down and even reduces in size. The prefrontal cortex is the most recently evolved part of our brains – it regulates our amygdala, blood pressure and heart beat but also enables us to learn, plan, concentrate and make judgements.
As an industry, blogging has become more and more high pressure, volatile and public and because of that we need to be mindful as bloggers to take care of ourselves but also to consider our content and the audience reading it.
So our questions for tonight’s Mental Health #Bloghour are:
1) Stress: Are you coping? On a scale of 1-10 (1 being ‘not at all’ and 10 being ‘nailing it’) how well do you cope with stress? #Bloghour
2) What do you do when you recognise the symptoms of stress? #Bloghour
3) Do you find it easy to recognise when you’re stressed or does it need to reach boiling point for you to see and act? #Bloghour
4) Do you feel responsible for the emotional effect your blogging/social content has on readers or even those at the heart of your content? #Bloghour
5) Do you suffer from anxiety and if you do, are there any coping mechanisms you’ve found that work? #Bloghour
6) If self-love and putting you first is the best support for stress and anxiety, what do you do to prioritise yourself? #Bloghour